A common issue I see at every SAP Insurance implementation is that the customer, and sometimes the consultants, are not aware of the plethora of options available for real-time integration into FS-CD. So the next time you hear “that’s not possible,” consider the following:
- SAP provides several connectors that allow Java, .NET, and C/C++ applications to directly call remote-enabled function modules. Read more at http://service.sap.com/connectors.
- Nearly every major integration layer platform provides connectivity to SAP remote-enabled function modules, including IBM’s Websphere suite, TIBCO, and many others.
- SAP provides remote-enabled function modules for nearly everything in SAP. There are over 34,000 of them across many modules (take a look at database table TFDIR and set MODE = ‘R’). The “bread and butter” services for FS-CD include:
- ISCD_PARTNER_MAINTAIN – a composite RFC for reading and maintaining nearly every data attribute on a business partner. Also take a look at FKK_BUPA_MAINTAIN_SINGLE and FKK_BUPA_READ_SINGLE.
- ISCD_ACCOUNT_MAINTAIN – a composite RFC for reading and maintaining nearly every data attribute on a contract account.
- FSCD_INSOBJECT_MAINTAIN – a composite RFC for reading and maintaining nearly every data attribute on an insurance object.
- ISCD_SCPOS_MAINTAIN – a composite RFC for posting transactions in FS-CD.
Of course, not every process requires real-time integration. For example, if a customer is printing and mailing claim checks once a day in FS-CD, then there is no need to build a real-time integration to post claim disbursements since those disbursements will simply sit in FS-CD until the payment run is executed. Each situation must be approached differently, but it’s important to remember that real-time integration is always an option.